Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rational Solutions for Emotional Problems


Sometimes, people have to deal with situations rationally, even when emotions get in the way of logic. I remember a time when I was emotionally reactive, but had to stop and think before making a decision. I was driving my car for one of the first times and I was faced with my first crowded 4-way intersection, and I will admit to being a little nervous. Sometimes when a person is nervous, that is almost enough to justify any crazy decisions that would have never occurred without anxiety. 
So there I was, facing real danger and looking it right in the eye. I had no idea what I was doing, so I decided to just drive. Unfortunately, that was the wrong decision. The cars to the left and right of me also wanted to go, which was probably what they were supposed to be doing. I did not know at the time, but I was a very stupid driver. I was in the middle of the road with cars coming at me from both sides. At that time, my emotional reaction was to curl up into a ball and scream. I then realized that I needed to deal with the situation, rather than hiding from it like my emotions told me to do. I decided that I needed to first start the car, because I drive a manual and I had killed it. I then moved forward to get out of everyone's way and not be a problem to the other drivers. 
I eventually was out of the intersection and safe. It was finally obvious what I had just done, and I was scared still. I wanted to switch spots with my mother, who was in the passenger seat the entire time. She did not let me, she knew that it was only good for me to gain some experience and work through on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment