Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye - 6

6) Why do we still read this book?  What is so timeless about its message and characters?  What can we learn from reading this novel?


The Catcher in the Rye is so timeless because of the fictional character, Holden Caulfield.  There are always going to be people like him in our world.  Holden Caulfield has a psychotic disorder, effecting his maturity and impulses.  Holden is 18, and he is caught between child and adult.  "I was sixteen, and I'm seventeen now, and sometimes I act like I'm about thirteen." (Salinger 9).  
The reason this story is so special is that it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of people with psychotic disorders, and people in general.  Very few books are able to let the reader come into such personal contact with the human mind and thought process.  Some may disagree, but I find the book to be extremely thought-provoking and riveting.  My interest gradually became deeper and deeper as the story progressed, and I was amazed at how much a person can learn about others through this book.  
At first, I was a bit hesitant to let the story consume my mind.  I found Caulfield to be a bit intimidating.  But after I was used to the writing style and Holden's unexpected way of thinking, I could easily see why this book is still being read by thousands today.  
In reading this novel, we can all learn about compassion and understanding to other people living with us today.  Through the book, you get to see what the world was like through Holden Caulfield's eyes.  Although the character is fictional, he is extremely real in my opinion, and it is rare that you get to see things through someone else's eyes. You never know what a person is going through until you take a walk in their shoes.  There are a lot of people in the world of different races, sexes, orientations, religions, and opinions, and we all should learn to be compassionate and try to put ourselves in the situations of others before making assumptions.  


Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment