Thursday, November 15, 2012

#17


As the light blue fuzz feathered through the warm current of air purring from the heating vent, I watched the road intently, trying to focus on the events to come. The thought of my sister's wedding was something to truly dread. I wanted nothing more than to go back to my bed with my kitty and sleep the day away. My thoughts poured through my mouth to my mother as we carpooled out to the lake. 
She looked lovely and young, as usual. Her hair was light and healthy, and she wore a pastel pink maxidress with the highest wedge heels you can imagine. She had pristine makeup. Not a smudge or smear was anywhere to be found. The strange thing about my mother, though, is that you can never seem to get her to tell you about herself. You never really know what is happening in her life unless you are there with her. 
I sit, shift gear up to five, watch the road intently as I forget that there is someone else in the car. I see a long stretch of empty road in front of me and my force on the gas petal strengthens. I am talking to my mother, but she just watches the road, smiling and pretending to understand why I would rather be somewhere new. I hardly even realize what I am saying until she finally tells me to stop. It catches me by surprise, but I know she is right. "Don't talk like that, please. Your sister is getting married today, and it would mean so much if you would show some sort of approval of her decision."
I suddenly reassessed the situation. I looked down at myself. I was wearing the long, satin red and white dress that Anne told me to wear, but underneath were my black combat boots. It was apparent that the wedding was something that my subconscious had rebelled against. 

No comments:

Post a Comment