Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Journal 38


My job shadowing experience was pretty boring to be honest. I shadowed at the Springfield Art Association, and the facility was really nice and cool. The whole first hour or so was fun I suppose. It included a tour of the studios, the gallery, the offices, and the Edwards Place. Edwards Place is a building that is connected to the Association and is a historical site. Most of my time was spent learning about that building rather than any kind of art I was interested in. I was allowed to sit in on a meeting for the upkeep of Edwards Place and one man claimed that historical preservation was a form of art in its own. I do agree with this, but I do not think it was something that particularly interested me.
Also, something that irritated me a bit was that they seemed to think I was there as a volunteer. They had me cutting out newspaper articles they were featured in and then putting them into transparent sleeves for over an hour. It was not a great time, but I did not stress about it at all because I knew I did not actually have to get anything done. I did not really think they got the concept of what I was there for. I feel bad, because I sort of felt like an intrusion on their peaceful work.
The coolest thing I think I did all day long, which was not very cool, was going to an offsite home that was wanting to donate an entire dark room set up to the Association. The two women discussed all the possibilities for their new equipment which was cool to hear.
Overall, I discovered that I do not want to be the director of the Springfield Art Association, and I did not have the greatest job shadowing experience. I wish I could have gotten into a more artistic site rather than office work.

No comments:

Post a Comment