Monday, August 13, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - Character Analysis: Clarisse

Clarisse was my personal favorite character in the story.  She is very much different from the other people living in her world, she is both youthful and thoughtful.  When Millie told Montag about Clarisse getting hit by a car, I was a mess (Bradbury 78).  That was one of the hardest things to read in the book because I found Clarisse so relatable to myself.  I cannot get over how the way she acts in the story is just the same as the way I would act in a situation like that.  
Clarisse is a refreshing dose of sanity in the beginning of the story when everyone seems rather brainwashed.  In a world like the one described in the book, there is not much life or beauty, but she gives attention to smaller beauties like dandelions and rain, which makes the reader feel a bit of comfort in such an uncomfortable idea (Bradbury 21).  No one takes notice of the small things the way she does, which is something that I tend to to as well.   I really enjoy her character because of the way she does not really care about what society says the norm is, she just thinks for herself and believes what she feels is right to believe, this being another thing I can relate to.  I find her to be so relatable, which is why she is easily the best character (to me) in the entire novel.
She is also in the habit of taking time to truly think about specifics (Bradbury 23).  From what I've read, this is an extremely unique characteristic among people of the world she lived in.  Actually, not just in the book.  This is unique in the world today.  Come on people!  Think about what you're looking at!  I also noticed that she really dislikes people in her class, and I do not blame her (Bradbury 30).  All the people in her class are crazy, I would never go back to school.  Her curiosity was prominent to me, too.  Every time Montag passed by her, she was always observing things (Bradbury 28).  Her curiosity shows that she was interested in learning, and she wanted her  questions answered.  


Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York, NY: Ballantine Books, 1954

No comments:

Post a Comment