Friday, August 17, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 - Character Analysis: Granger

I found a couple of the thoughts through the story made zero sense in my mind, and each of them were from Granger.  When Granger is speaking to Montag, Granger states that Montag is not really significant, and that the books they were memorizing would end war, in good time (Bradbury 163-164).  I tried to understand these ideas and they just do not make sense, so once again, I will now attempt to make sense of them, or I will just end up making a fool of myself on the way.  Both options are likely.
I disagree with the thought of telling someone that they are not important as a person.  A person who finds himself to be unimportant is never going to be truly happy, that would make a person feel worthless and insignificant, leading to even more depression among the people of that time.  Also, would not the people remembering the great books be considered the most important in the story?  If one of them died or could not remember, the losses would be tremendous.  The books that these men were remembering were the most important things to them, especially considering that someone could have spent their whole life writing something like that.  I have decided that the people remembering the books are to be rightfully recognized as the most important people of the given situation.  
I also do not understand how books could end up being the end of war, if anything, they were an aid to it, which does not make them a bad thing.  Many books encourage war, such as The Prince, by Machiavelli.  This book was mentioned by name in Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury 152).  I think that if any book was ill-suited for bringing war to an end, it was certainly that one.  I guess that Granger thinks that reading books could possibly force war out of reason in the mind of a common person.  I do not agree.  Many people pay close attention to books nowadays, and many people take the time of day to wonder about things, but war has always been a regular occurrence if you think about it, even in a small way.  This makes me disagree with both of Granger's statements, although I must say that I do respect the man.  


Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York, NY: Ballantine Books, 1954

No comments:

Post a Comment