Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Moon Is Down - General Opinion

To be completely honest, I really did not like The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck very much.  I respect the author and the time period quite a lot, but I just did not find my mind engaging in it as much as I would have enjoyed.  I sort of had to push myself to keep reading from time to time.  War is not my particular favorite topic to talk about, I dislike things of such a cruel nature.  Like I said in a previous blog, I find that historical fiction books are a bit of a contradiction in and of themselves.  
The whole book made me feel dirty, like I should bathe or something.  Reading about war makes me uncomfortable.  Even though it is good to learn about those things, and this is really the only way to do that, I still do not enjoy putting my mind is situations like that.
However, there were some parts that I did enjoy reading.  I liked reading about Annie a lot.  She was sort of a humorous aspect to the story.  I literally laughed out loud when I read about her throwing the boiling water because the men were looking at her (Steinbeck 17-18).  I liked her probably the most of all the characters because I found her persona to be entertaining.  Other people in the book seem so serious, and while she might not realize it, she is quite comical.  I like that about her.  Even though she is going through some of the most difficult times of her whole life, she is still radical self from beginning to end.

Although there were a lot of boring parts to the story, I still found that overall, the book was not that bad.  I feel like I learned about what it would have been like during World War Two living in a small town, which is something a lot of people do not know about today.  I would recommend this to people who know that they like historical fiction upfront.  I feel like this would be enjoyable to people who know that already.  

Steinbeck, John. The Moon Is Down. New York: Viking, 1942. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment